Friday, October 5, 2012

Dawn :)

As I start my blog... my first bit's for the new found love of my life - Dawn - who's actually brought us many new beginnings....


So this is how it all started...

Susheetal's been a dog lover ever since he can remember... But could never really own a pet as his dad, a doctor always wanted hygiene and cleanliness in the house - and has never been fond of pets/ dogs. And well, I have never liked pets either - and been scared enough of dogs - so much so that I would refuse to go to a friends place if they owned one. Or, the dog had to be tied as long as I was in their house.


Well all of that doesn't quite matter anymore... and this is how Dawn happened to us....


On our way back from a short trip to Patnitop in Nov 2008 - we happened to visit a dear friend of mine from school, Ulrika - who had this few months old black labrador; called Phoebe [not a surprise she named her so - those who know Ulrika know what i mean :) ]


So Susheetal says 'hi' to Ulrika and Deepak and sees Pheobe around..The first thing he says after that is "Ulrika, whenever Pheobe has babies, I want one for sure."... And they strike a deal!! Little did I know Ulrika had taken it literally...


We meet on and off and Phoebe is rarely discussed or even around... And then years pass and I get a call on my birthday in 2012 from Ulrika who wishes me (of course) and then says "Oh well, your pup is born!"


I congratulate her as I realize Phoebe's had babies; and while what she said sinks in; I go quiet and bbm Susheetal to tell him so... and he's elated like his dream's just come true... He reaches back home from work and we have this long chat (we may have never been so serious before about planning a child for ourselves...than we were that evening for one of Phoebe's pups!!!).


And so next few days I keep thinking ""This has really been Susheetal's childhood dream? Mine was to be swimming in a room of coca cola or liquid chocolate or owning a colorful fancy house with a water bed or a lot more cool stuff etc etc etc...Is this really the one time we can get a pup home and Susheetal would treat that as his favorite gift?!""


And then I decide to fight my fears and give myself preparation time of 1-2 months before we get a pup home.. We'd decided (rather I had) that we'll get a golden pup home...and somehow that choice changed to black as and when Ulrika I spoke.. Then in June, Ulrika calls me again saying she's coming to Delhi with Phoebe and the pups so that they can be given to their respective new owners... And my heart sinks.. But being a little stubborn; I decide to go ahead and get a pup home...

We go and see some 7 (out of 9) pups running around the room and Phoebe sitting amongst them all... I think to myself one last time "I really want to do this, do I?"


And, Ulrika being another ardent dog lover ensured I held this little black beauty in my arms right there... 




And as we take him with us in our car, she talks to Dawn "Ok Dawn, that's your new family - be good to them and bring them a lot of good luck ok.. No troubling them naughty fellow.. Love them lots and protect them from all evil!" and she had a tear in her eye - which is when I guess I realized this was a living being in my arms.. And then another thought struck as we left from there (I'm going to hold this little thing for close to 50kms?)

So I tried being nice to him and he was all over me..Toothless (lucky me then) and cute...It didn't take me too long to fall in love with him.. By the time we got home; I realized he'd won my heart already!!!





And, today at a little more than 5 months old; Dawny boy's not only the heart beat of our home; but also a lot dearer to us than ourselves maybe!


Like Ulrika told him I guess we've ended up with a couple of unexpected surprises for ourselves - from home decor' to a new car to a promotion at work to a dream dslr and last but not the least, a decent appraisal at work ;) :)




We love him so much; so I had to start my new blog with my new found love in this little beautiful monster :)








No comments:

Post a Comment

Simply Me

My photo
crazy, uncomplicated and fun!